Thursday, July 29, 2010

10 years seems like 10 days!

On June 3rd Mike and I celebrated our 10 year anniversary by going camping alone for 3 days. I know, a little unusual but you improvise on your dream vacation when you don't have endless $! It was the perfect way to relax from 10 years of go go go! Mike will probably want to shoot me if he ever sees this picture but this is him to a T! He's a goof and a blast to be around. We laughed more than we have in quite a while. We took the 4wheeler out to try to find some elk and he decided to play a trick on me and acted like it died. It was pitch black outside and I am such a chicken of the forest at night! Don't laugh! You never know what's out there! He laughed a little too hard so I punched him in the gut!
This was our campsite. Nobody at all around us. I think we found the perfect spot! We are going to keep it our little secret! We were able to literally do nothing the whole time. Mike took a 3 hour nap every day and I read my book for those 3 hours. It was funny because Mike would wake up every once in a while and say, "You aren't mad at me for sleeping so long are you?" Normally at home I would be waking his rear up after an hour and a half telling him to come help take care of all the kids he created! I wasn't mad at all! I was loving reading my book without him saying, "I am home for the day and all you are going to do is read your book?" Or the classic, "Turn you dang spotlight off and rub my head so I can go to sleep!"

I married a real man! With his little tiny chain saw! We did dutchoven and it was heaven! I love camping. Sometimes I secretly wish we could just live in the woods like that and stay far away from the rest of the world.
3 days wasn't long enough but we had to get home back to real life. Thanks to Colleen who came and watched the kiddos for us!
10 years seems like so long when you say it, but is has gone by so fast it's unreal! I can't say that I regret a moment of it. Even the hard parts. That's what makes us the people we are right? We have definately become eachothers best friend and don't really care what anybody else thinks. We have a blast when we are together. Mike loves to be a smarty pants and I am catching on really well now. I am a clean freak and he has learned to deal with some parts of that and has succeeded at breaking some of my OCD habits. For example, the guy very rarely puts his clothes in the hamper. He throws them on the floor by his side of the bed. I have tried and tried to train him to put them away but he insists that I need to lighten up. So, there they sit and I just have to breathe and walk away!
We have an understanding at night when we get in bed that if I will rub his head, he won't get mad at me for turning on the lamp and reading. After 10 years we have it down to a science.
I hate when he spends money and he says not one word when I do. Makes me feel like crap!
He's pretty much almost the perfect guy. Who's really perfect anyway? I love that he loves our kids and makes a point to spend time with them and be down at their level when he does. I love that he works incredibly hard in order to provide for us. We have been married since he was 17 and not once has he not provided for our family completely on his own. That is something to be proud of! He loves our country. He is honest and kind. He will do pretty much anything for anyone. He loves the gospel. Is he perfect at it? No, but neither am I so we learn together. His family comes first. ALWAYS! He teaches our kids to be good, honest people in a world where those two things are becoming rare. He loves me and tells me so every day. He is ALWAYS complimenting me on how I look and lets just be honest, what he sees isn't that great! He makes sure that our kids know that he loves and respects me. He's just a good guy! I can't wait to see what the next 10 years brings!

2 comments:

melinda said...

Ok, that was a super sweet post--loved it. I almost got a tear until I was remembering you were talking about Mike;) J/K! He is a freakin' awesome guy and you are one totally rockin' girl. Love you guys and congrats on 10 wonderful years! I still think the camping trip was the best!

Mills Family said...

I've had fun catching up on your family! We hardly ever see you but you guys are definitely some of my favorites. (By the way, this is Kari, Mike's cousin.)