Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Family Night & Fire Light.....

We built our first fire on Monday night. The kids loved it and it was nice and warm all night long. I was a little nervous that Gavin was going to burn his little hands, but he can't reach the door. Thanks heavens!!!!! When we lived in our first house Carter was about 18 mos. old and Mike had started a fire and left for work while I was grocery shopping with the kids. When I came home I just set Carter in the door and went to get the groceries out of the truck and a few seconds later he started screaming. He had burned the whole paw of his hand on the glass. It was AWEFUL!!!!! Glad we won't have to do that this winter!
I always have to put a picture of Gavin and his delicious smile in the mix!
We have the BEST hometeachers that brought us yummy brownies WITH icing, and a game called "Don't Eat Jack." I played it growing up but we played with skittles and it was called "Don't Eat Pete." We had a ball. The kids loved their dads goober way of sucking the candy corns off the page.
Katlyn also gave a really good lesson out of the friend about a family that wanted to go to the temple and be sealed, but they lived in Honduras and the closest temple was in Guatemala, a two day bus ride away. Their family grew corn and so they sold tortillas to raise money to go. They were blessed to raise enough money in just a couple of months, but they were also worried about taking all of their money on the bus because robbers often stopped the buses and took everyones belongings. They had faith that Heavenly Father would protect them and went. He did protect them and they were so grateful for the blessings of the temple.
After the story I asked if it was hard for us to go to the temple and Gage said, "No, I go by it every day on our walk." Carter said, "I can see it every day when I'm up in the playroom." These two sentences hit me SO hard. We are RIGHT by the temple of the Lord and we don't have to sacrifice anything but a little of our time to go there. Our children see it every day and are reminded of it's blessings. We don't have to travel for days and we don't have to worry about robbers. We are so blessed and spoiled. I am guilty as ever of not going as often as I should. Do I have as much faith as this family did? I don't think so, but I hope that one day I will.

No comments: