Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Seriously, has it really been 9 years?

Seriously, it has. I cannot believe that Mike and I have been married for 9 years! That seems like it should feel long, but I feel like it was just yesterday or maybe the day before that we met. My friend Brittany told me that Mike thought I was cute, but he was so shy he wouldn't even look at me. So, one day in the gym I just said hi to him and watched his face turn beet red. It was priceless! Then he shows up at my volleyball tournament in Payson and when I go to serve the ball he says, "Hey number 2, you have a nice butt." Completely calm and like it was totally normal for him to say that! (He's going to kill me for putting that on here, so nobody tell him!) The rest is history. Some of it not so good and a little crazy, but most of it unbelievable. He was planning on being in Pima his senior year and I never planned on being in Snowflake my senior year, but there we were and here we are!
Would I ever recommend our first year in married life to anyone? NEVER! But it wasn't hard like you would think. We had a few little ups and downs at first just getting used to eachother and having Katlyn but all in all it was fun. We were so poor, and we had no idea! We just didn't expect to have everything all at once and that made it all so much easier. We were so young! Today Katlyn was looking at Kylie and Andrew's blog and said, "Mom, it's still so wierd that Uncle Andrew is going to be a dad. It seems like he's still 18. I mean I know he's not but he seems so young to me still." To that I said, "Katerbug, by the time your dad was 23 he had 3 kids. Uncle Andrew is not young!" She laughed and laughed!
Every year brings new and sometimes harder challenges but we have made it through ALL of them. And through it all I know that we have always been eachother's best friend. We've had 4 kids and built 2 houses. Made it through working shift work, which I love to call shit work because it is for both spouses! Saved money and had no money. We even have fights! I know it's hard to believe! But even when we do fight, we can't be mad at eachother for more than a few hours. Sometimes I have to push him along, and sometimes he has to tell me to settle down a little and sometimes a lot but at the end of the day we lay in bed and laugh. Honestly though, he is by far the funniest, kindest, handiest and most thoughtful person I know. He's still a man so I have to clean up after him ALL the time, but I'll keep him. I think I got pretty lucky! Happy Anniversary Babe!

9 comments:

Amanda said...

Les, I just love you. To me it just seams like yesterday you moved to Snowflake and your mom being so torn about it and I remember thinking, she's not going to be in our ward how sad. I'm glad you moved to snowflake cuz you did meet Mike and I remember your dad telling my dad that he actually really likes him. haha. And my dad told my mom, if Scottie likes him then he must be a great guy. :) and he is, but he did amazing too! You guys have such a cute family! Happy Anniversary!!!!

melinda said...

You two are such a great couple! You've accomplished so much and are raising such a sweet family! Happy 9TH Anniversary!!

colleen said...

George and I have often talked about how you two got together. I think Heavenly Father knew that was the only way it was going to happen. I am so blessed to have Mike as a son and he struck gold when he found you. We love you both and those wonderful grandchildren that you so graciously share with us. Colleen

Laura said...

Happy Anniversary!!! Here's to many more!

justin and sherrie said...

Nearly everyday I think to myself that if it weren't for some divine intervention that I would have married someone who makes me miserable instead of better. I couldn't have drawn up a better wife for me in a million years, and I'm sure you both feel the same way. Amazing how everything works out isn't it?

Michelle Connolly said...

Hi Les,

I read your comment on my blog and couldn't stop laughing. I have forgotten all the crazy times you had with our family. I feel like I should apologize, but what's done is done :) My mom told my little Noah about when the fishing hook got caught in her finger and then the hook in the nose. He couldn't understand why we were laughing so hard.

You're family is adorable!

Michelle (Slade)

Courtney Curt said...

Happy Anniversary. That was a cute post.

Linde said...

That was so fun to read! I can't believe you've been married 9 years already either. Time flies but it is so fun and so worth it. Hope you get to get away at least for dinner alone. I know how it goes though:)

Unknown said...

Happy Anniversary! It is crazy it has been that long. And look at what a beautiful family you have. Your kids are so dang cute! Hope you are all doing well!